Recent Events: 10 Sept ’39

8 Sept:Polish defenders at Westerplatte surrendered
9 Sept: Battle of the Bzura begins.
9 Sept: British Expeditionary Forces (BEF) began landing in France.
10 Sept: Canada declared war on Germany.

Disclaimer

This game references the Savage Worlds game system, available from Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Savage Worlds, Weird Wars, Weird War II, and all associated logos and trademarks are copyrights of Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Pinnacle makes no representation or warranty as to the quality, viability or suitability of this web site.

Going to the chapel…

After stopping at several inns, you realize that even though it was a relatively "peaceful liberation" of Danzig, there are thousands of displaced refugees suddenly without homes.  Finally an innkeeper gives you a break and you are allowed to sleep on his common room floor, along with dozens of others who find themselves homeless.  It's not the Hotel Grand, but its warm and dry and everyone is too wrapped up in their own problems to spend time wondering about  you. You leave the Inn at 6:00 AM and make your way to St. Mary's Church.  The huge edifice stands over the city as if watching over it.  When you arrive, you realize that the church is watching over the city, literally.  With Sunday services underway, the Church is packed with those seeking shelter, giving thanks, praying for loved ones, or just happy to be alive.  There are literally thousands of people crammed inside the huge building and it looks like it could hold thousands more.  You have no trouble finding your way to your assigned positions and in the massive crowds you feel as safe as mice in a hayloft.

Chapel of the Sea

Once everyone is settled, Röcke and Seven make their way to the Chapel of the Sea.  The interior door is open and the room is half-filled with fishermen and their families.  As the two make their way up to the alter to light candles, they notice an older man kneeling before the altar with his head bowed and his hands clasped in front of him.  On his right hand there is a large silver signet ring with a black cross emblazoned on it.  Röcke and Seven take up positions on either side of the man and kneel as if to pray.  Quietly, the challenge and password is given and "Thor" says a greatful "amen" and rises to his feet. "My name is Erich, Erich Weiss," he says quickly and quietly, "You will tell me your names later." He hands Röcke his ring, "They said you might need this for confirmation." After confirming the inscription Röcke hands the ring back and Erich continues, "You have more men nearby?"  Seeing Röcke's slight nod,  he continues, "Let us gather them up and get to a quieter location.  Mass will be ending in a few minutes and we can mingle with everyone as they leave."  The three men move to reenter the main church hall but are suddenly stopped...

Meanwhile Back in the Church

The remainder of the team watch Röcke and Seven enter the Chapel.  After a few minutes six German soldiers enter the building at D/E1.   They are 5 SS soldiers plus a young Oberleutnant from SS Heimwehr Danzig.   The soldiers have Kar98k rifles slung over their shoulder and the officer has the stander Luger sidearm in a belt holster. As they gaze out over the huge crowd you can see their crestfallen faces.  A quick discussion ensues which ends with the officer telling his men he "didn't care how many people there were...Find Him!"  Three soldiers start slowly down the center aisle, looking from picture to face, picture to face in endless repetition.  The Oberleutnant and the two other men walk across the back of the Church just in time to run into Röcke, Seven and Erich.  He seems amazed as the man he is looking for is suddenly standing before him. Looking at Erich he says, "Herr Weiss, your papers please bitte."  Looking at Röcke and Seven, then back to Erich, he holds out his hand to the two and beckons, "Your papers also, bitte." OOC: Soldiers still have all firearms slung.  The three soldiers in the center aisle haven't noticed the exchange in the doorway.  See vitals page for initiative order.  Erich is reaching for his papers, the Germans will have no action this round as they are not expecting any resistance.  Depending on what you do, some or all of them may not have actions next round. Readying a weapon is a full action unless you have quick draw, but you can do it quicker at -2 to your attack roll for that round.  Also note that if Röcke and Seven do draw their weapons, they will be considered to have "the drop" on the Germans in the following round. Edit:  Had to correct number of Germans.  3 in center aisle, 2+Officer at Chapel.  Also added Erich to initiative list.  Finally, your base move will let you move 2 squares (including diagonal) at this scale without running. Edit 2: Added Knuckles location and the location to which Scope is attempting to throw the burning hymnal

30 comments to Going to the chapel…

  • Bob Gamemaster

    Erich is fumbling nervously for his papers, evidently unable to find them.

    OOC: Erich is holding to see what Röcke and Seven do.

  • Scope Scope

    Scope calmly removes a hymnal from the back of the pew in front of him, opens it, lights the inner pages on fire, and flings it into the middle of a group of parishioners on the other side of the church.

  • Seven Seven

    “No way we’re talking our way out of this” Seven thinks, “Thor’s been made.” Seven makes one final glance to note the location of each soldier and scan for anything unusual on them. He says in German: “I have my uncle’s papers here with me” and reaches into his coat. Instead of drawing out papers, he draws out his weapon and fires at the officer. OOC: Seven will ready his weapon this round (inside his coat if possible), to fire with the drop next round. He will fire at the officer. He will use a bene to soak any damage. If the officer is already down, he will choose the closest soldier as the target. As he fires, he will tell Thor in Latin, to find cover. He will move to find the nearest cover after he fires the first shot.

  • Lucky Lucky

    “Eh, so much for another smoke.”

    Looking to the nearest soldier, he calmly draws the weapon out low to ready. Then points and fires.

    • Bob Gamemaster

      OOC: Some things to remember in this first combat as I know people are new to this. A) Readying a weapon is a full action unless you want to take a -2 to hit, b) you would be at medium range so that would be another -2 (-4 total at this point), c) It’s a fairly crowded church so a missed shot will hit someone and the milling people provide light cover unless you are at close range (another -1 to attack, -5 overall), and D) they don’t know you are there, so you can use this first round to maneuver.

  • Lucky Lucky

    OOC: Assuming the shot is good, Zadou will lower weapon and quickly move to exit near I10 through rush of people, and clear for our departure. If exit no good, will signal otherwise.

  • Fenrik Lars "Röcke" Tidsskrift Fenrik Lars "Röcke" Tidsskrift

    Lars reaches for his papers with his left hand, while also placing his right hand on his gun just in case a firefight breaks out. “Certainly Sir”

    OOC: Ok, time out for a bit. I think when action is happening, the responses need to be in Init order as listed in the ‘vitals’ section. Thor was first in the order, and deferred. Scope was next and lit up a hymnal to cause a distraction. Suez, then me, then Lucky, then Seven and Knuckles. Maybe my move or Suez or Lucky might be to suddenly mash Seven in the head with a large club that was hidden behind them (not that I am), and that would more than likely negate his move and we spend another day or two getting his move straight. if done in Init order, we also get to see what others moving before us are doing before deciding on what to do…just like a real gaming session 😉 Personally I was thinking we could have bluffed are way out of this, rather than stirring up a whole bunch of Germans with a Battleship just off shore into a man hunt right at the start of our adventure…or at least wait long enough to find out what the German’s wanted with Thor…but others seem bent on a firefight, even though their officer told them we are trying not to attract attention to us (Aaahem!). Killing people in a church is bad…..very bad!

  • Ackley "Suez" Smythe Ackley "Suez" Smythe

    Suez quickly decides that the best way to help Rocke, Seven, and Thor is to draw the Germans’ attention somewhere else. He snatches his Deutschmarks and begins launching them, a few at a time, into the air generally toward the main aisle of the church. His hope is that the bills fluttering in the air and coins ringing on the marble floor will create a general commotion and movement of people in that direction.

    OOC: It occurs to me as I type this that if we’re using modern pricing for simplicity, then we don’t have much money to (literally) throw around. I don’t intend to throw the gold, but I’ll use all the DMs if I must in order to get people stirring around and shouting.

  • Lucky Lucky

    OOC: Understood, Gamemaster. Lucky’s intent is as posted. He will take this round in the manner described to ready weapon. FINAL.

    Also, I like John’s point about ‘replying’ in Init order. Anyone else?

  • Seven Seven

    OOC: I’m not sure how this will all work with combat by blog, but I’m trying to be true to my character. He is Polish and he is watching his country get raped and murdered by Nazis, without knowing whether his family will survive it or not. That being said, I would be fine with changing my actions if the circumstances change by the time my initiative comes around- if that’s the way it works. I don’t think we can bluff our way out and we’ll lose the advantage of surprise. Not to mention I don’t want to roleplay a game where I only get to do what Dan says… Besides, we’re soldiers in a WW II game- I think we’re supposed to fight. 🙂

  • Bob Gamemaster

    OOC: Well, I don’t really care in what order you say what you want to do, I resolve what happens in initiative order. The problem with waiting until the person in front of you has responded is…what if they don’t respond until the deadline? Like I said in my email, I think a good idea would be in the evening, you state what you are thinking of doing, and the next morning you can finalize it. Even that has timing issues, but its about as good as you are going to get in an asynchronous environment.

    In some ways I think people responding like this (in their own crazy order) is more realistic as people think, then act, as quickly as they can. That quickness is initiative. If you aren’t thinking like a team, you don’t act like one. Combat teams don’t stand there and wait until the “guy in front of them has acted,” they act based on training and SOPs (beaten into them through countless training repetitions). What we literally have here is a newly formed team that has to come together. I think it wouldn’t be difficult to come up with some SOPs and/or rules of engagement of your own that you add to as things progress. Things like, “avoid civilian casualties” or “no shots unless you are confronted (or at point blank range, or have complete surprise, etc.)” seem super handy right now.

    This first combat is a shake-down cruise anyhow. There is a reason I did this on a Friday after all. We all need to see what works and what doesn’t doing this, so lets see how it goes and then we can do an after action review and make improvements.

    Objective Fun. Be Heroes.

  • Bob Gamemaster

    Questions and Comments:

    Scope & Suez, can you give me a grid coords for the burning hymnal and money dump?

    Lucky, are you trying to move closer to the soldiers at all, if so where?

    Röcke, although the SS Officer is saying please, it is merely a formality. His tone is anything but pleasant and Thor does not seem happy to see him.

  • Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward

    OOC: While I am not 100 percent sure where I am standing. Knuckles has developed some respect for officers over the years, and would be likely to take his cues from Lars (for now). Therefore I will consider myself to be ‘inside the church, hanging back just outside the chapel.’ as he last suggested. Therefore, I think that must be me at about D3 (?). Assuming that, when I see our guys begin to go. In any case I am last in initiative so I will be around to pick up the pieces of whatever falls out.

    My Action: Forgo my firearm and use the extra time to take out the nearest Nazi with my bare-hands, with an eye out for my next available target.

    “(mumbles) Here comes da fun!”

    • Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward

      No way to edit replies, eek! Pressed the button (wife’s laptop, argh!) before I was quite finished with final edit.

      Corrections:

      1. Therefore, I think I must be me at about D3(?).
      2. Assuming that, when I see our guys begin to go ballistic I will move in.

  • Scope Scope

    OOC: Lars — yes, that was exactly Scope’s intention. He was watching the interaction between Thor and the SS with his rifle scope. He saw the other SS group in the middle of the church (just in front of second group). He knows he’s well out of effective range for his pistol, and has no intention of pulling out and reassembling his long gun in the middle of a crowded church. From the vitals screen, I see that Thor has initiative, but has deferred. My turn. What can Scope usefully do in this eventuality but create a diversion for (hopefully) both groups of friendlies and pray that they pick up his intent and do what they’ve been trained to do (i.e. kill a german or two)? The only other possibility is to piss away the initiative and let the enemy take it. Remember: we heard the officer say that he didn’t care how may people were there… was this an indication of the difficulty of finding Thor in a crowded building or does it represent a threat of civilian casualties?

    OOC: GM — The intended target for the hymnal is E13. Scope will use his Throw skill if necessary, as an Area Effect attack. I would expect that the result would be the same even on a critical failure wherein he drops the thing on his foot: fire in a crowded building.

    IC: Scope can’t help but smile a little as he watches the demonic hymnal hurtling through the church.

  • Lucky Lucky

    OOC: Apparently, I’m not where I think I am. What block am I? BTW I like the burning marker.

  • Ackley "Suez" Smythe Ackley "Suez" Smythe

    OOC: Probably can’t toss it very far. D8 would be fine. Then start looking for an accessible exit.

  • Ackley "Suez" Smythe Ackley "Suez" Smythe

    OOC: As Bob noted, if we wait for everything to happen in strict order, things will proceed very slowly. I imagine that what Suez is doing would take more than one round: getting out the money, tossing it over the course of a round or two, and then reassessing the situation to choose an exit. I’m comfortable letting Bob work out the exact sequencing.

  • Lucky Lucky

    OOC: Okay, thanks. Yes, I would like to move closer. Will ready gun next round, and place it under the bible I’m carrying. Can I get to E6?

    Pulling a bible from the pew, as the money goes flying, Lucky says to Suez, “Going to light a prayer candle…for the soldiers.” He gets up and begins moving forward, seemingly unaware of the flutter of Deutschmarks behind him.

    FINAL (again).

  • Seven Seven

    OOC: My only change would be that I would take the shot without the full round of readying if the actions of the others distract the Germans in front of us so as to make the shot easier. That would be “Final”. I was under the impression that my shot would be at point blank range, correct?

    • Bob Gamemaster

      OOC: Correct. If you ready your weapon this turn, however, I will deem you have the drop on the Germans. That means you start off the next round with a hold action (i.e. you can go whenever you want against them) and get +4 to hit and damage rolls. This turn I would just give you surprise, which would give you a +2 (which offsets the penalty of shooting and readying in one action). So the difference is a 0 modifier, or a +4.

  • Lucky Lucky

    OOC: If so, then it is with many apologies that I revise my move again…can he Ready Weapon before he places under the bible and gets up and moves forward?

  • Seven Seven

    OOC: Ah, readying the weapon sounds better then, I’ll do that. “Final”.

  • Fenrik Lars "Röcke" Tidsskrift Fenrik Lars "Röcke" Tidsskrift

    OOC: Ok, I guess it makes more sense to do it when you can get to it, and let Bob sort it all out. So like Seven, I’ll be readying my weapon with one hand, while starting to hand over the papers with the left. My intent is to not let go of the papers if the round takes that long, which should cause the SS officer to pause with confusion long enough for me to bring up my gun and fire. Once the Germans in front of us are down, I intend to move Thor to the nearest exit @ C3. I will be expecting more SS outside that exit, since that’s what I would expect a competent officer to do.

    FINAL

  • Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward Calvin "Knuckles" Hayward

    OOC: Killin’ Krauts as fast as I can. FINAL

    “Dis is gonna hoit yous a lot more den it’s gonna hoit me.”

  • Ackley "Suez" Smythe Ackley "Suez" Smythe

    Suez won’t keep tossing money after shouts of “fire!” or screaming at the sight of blood begin. Any of those will create more confusion than a few fluttering Deutschmarks.

    I expect that those of us at E8 are too far from the exits to beat the stampede. Once the money ploy is played out, Suez will follow Lucky’s lead and move (with the crowd as much as possible) toward the Germans in the center aisle while surreptitiously readying his pistol. FINAL

Leave a Reply